Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Mark Stephens Mark Stephens is offline

Default Store code outside the workbook, is it possible?

Thanks for that Harald, I forgot about add ins that's pretty much what
they're designed for right

Kind regards, Mark

"Harald Staff" wrote in message
Hi Mark

I think the safest way to do this is to save your code in an addin file
(xla) and run it from another workbook like this:

Sub Tester()
Dim wb As Workbook
Set wb = Workbooks.Open("C:\Temp\Test.xla", ReadOnly:=True)
DoEvents
Application.Run (wb.Name & "!Macro1")
DoEvents
wb.Saved = True
wb.Close
End Sub

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"Mark Stephens" skrev i melding
Is it possible to store a module (maybe export it and keep it in a
specific location), then 'call' it from the workbook. So it would be like
having a text file in a folder on your c drive and then instgructing the
code to copy the string and use it as a string variable in the code and
run it from within another sub.

e.g.

Sub GetOutsideCode

Dim sCode As String

sCode = TextFileInSpecifiedFolder.Contents

Call sCode

End sub

or some such thing. I know it used to be possible to get values from a
closed workbook using GetValue with excel 2003, don't know if it's still
available in 2007 (anyone know?) but it strikes me that if it is and my
idea above won't work, then storing the code in cells in a workbook
should produce the same end result.

One of my reasons for wanting to do this is that in order to protect
intellectual property in an excel workbook it could be possible to have
the file containing the code in the specified folder and then kill it at
a specified interval unless a passwrod was entered before that interval.
Bit of a whacky idea maybe but it should work well enough for the
audience i have in mind.

Thanks and regards, Mark