Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom5 Tom5 is offline

Default counting spercific charaters in selected cells

I have a worksheet which contains a number of pupils results with gaps
inbetween then. I want to put a formula at the end of each row to calculate
how many people have A*-C grade.

However I can only seem to do this for a selected range instead of choosing
the spercific cells I want to include. This is a copy of the formula I have
for the entire range;
{=SUM(IF((A1:J1="A*")+(A1:J1="A")+(A1:J1="B")+(A1: J1="C"), 1, 0))}

However, as I said I need it to apply to just cells A1,C1,E1. I have tried
entering this as a comma seperated list eg, (A1,C1,E1="A*). However this
doesn't work as it claims there is a value error (Like everything that goes
wrong on Excel)

Any ideas? I have put the correct syntax and the array is in the correct
place. I have many otherworksheets with this formula working through an
entire range but this one is different as I need it through specified cells.

Cheers

Tom