Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Stefi Stefi is offline

Default Checking to see of a folder exists

Thank you Bob for your reply! It partly helped because it returns True for
any sPath meeting formal criteria (starting with \\) and False for
non-meeting ones but doesn't reflect that server sPath is a really existing
server or not.

Any further idea?

Regards,
Stefi

€˛Bob Phillips€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

Private Declare Function PathIsUNCServer Lib "shlwapi" _
Alias "PathIsUNCServerA" _
(ByVal pszPath As String) As Long

Public Function IsUNCPathAServer(ByVal sPath As String) As Boolean

IsUNCPathAServer = PathIsUNCServer(sPath) = 1
End Function

--
---
HTH

Bob

"Stefi" wrote in message
Hi Dave,

I was looking for a solution for checking the existence of a server and
found this post of yours and hoped it helps me, but it doesn't. It returns
wrong False value if path to be checked consists of only the server name.

My aim is to separate cases of non-existence of a folder:

1. The folder doesn't exist on an existing server.
2. The folder doesn't exist because the server itself doesn't exist (e.g.
its name is mis-spelled).

Any idea?

Regards,
Stefi

"Dave Peterson" ezt Ć*rta:

I've used this before, but it's untested, uncompiled here.

Dim TestStr as string
teststr = ""
on error resume next
teststr = dir("\\your\unc\path\here" & "\nul")
on error goto 0

if teststr = "" then
'not there
else
'is there
end if

Chuck M wrote:

Hi,

I'm using a DIR command to verify that a folder exists on a local C:
drive.
If I need to check a folder on a network drive, can I use the mapped
drive
letter or must I supply a UNC path to the DIR command. I don't have the
resources to test this myself.

TIA
--
Chuck M.