Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
[email protected] baobob@my-deja.com is offline

Default How do you find WHERE Excel splits your wrapped string?

Peter T:

Again thanks MUCH for your tremendous effort & reply.

I don't think I fully grasped your first reply, back in Jan., for
several reasons.

One, altho' I've been a programmer for some years, I'm not the sort
who can read dozens of lines of code and immediately grasp the gestalt
of what it's doing, the way a musician can read a score and hear
everything in his head.

Two, every time I see the term "autofit" in relation to my question,
it makes me uncomfortable, to the extent that autofitting a column
width TO some text is the very converse of what I want. I don't want a
column to change its width. Rather, in a column whose width NEVER
changes, tell me where Excel splits up my string. And/but it appears
that your code is doing that.

Three, I am totally amazed that, what Excel surely does with very
simple internal logic--determine where it should split a string--
you're telling me that it takes dozens of lines of code, and in
addition creating a visual component, put text in it, then look at the
result. All of which of course I'm willing to do. ANYTHING to get the
result.

***

Just like you, back during the text computing era my preferred
spreadsheet software was Quattro as well.

***

So thanks much again. I'll execute your implementation. And report on
the results.

***