Ian Tresman

Default Excel drop-down values versus labels

I can't figure out how to duplicate Web-based Select boxes, as drop-down
lists in Excel.

I can create the drop-down list using Data | Validation | Settings,
selecting from Allow the opion List (Ignore Blank and In-Cell dropdown
checked), and then enter into Source: Standard, Large, Extra Large (each
item separated by commas).

But I can't figure out how to calculate which item is selected without
duplicating the data, It seems inefficient to duplicate "Standard, Large,
Extra Large" elsewhere, and do a lookup.

1. Is there not a function which will return the Nth item selected from this
short list?

2. Or can I assign the values 5, 10, 20 to each of the items that appears
in the list?

Regards,
Ian Tresman
Derby, UK