RagDyer

What do you say instead of giving you a fish, we try to teach you how to
fish?

Index, being mostly non-volatile, should be the primary function of choice.

So, to start, we index where the data is coming *from*.

If it's coming from a row, we index *that* row, say Row10:
=INDEX(10:10,
This reference is good enough if we're going to drag (copy) this formula
*along* a row, across columns.
However, if we're going to copy this *down* a column, we must prevent the
row reference from automatically incrementing, so we must make the reference
absolute:
=INDEX($10:$10,

Let's start by saying that this formula will be copied down a column.
Next, we need the location (address) of *exactly* where in that row the data
will start to come from.
Say we want it to start at Column D (4th column).
We could write the formula:
=INDEX($10:$10,4)
Which will work fine ... for a *single* return of data.
To return Column E's data, write:
=INDEX($10:$10,5)
And so on ... and so on.
Tedious, right?
So we replace the "hard coded" column reference with something that will
increment automatically as it's copied down the column.
One example of such a reference would be Row().
So, we could now write the formula:
=INDEX($10:$10,ROW(4))
And copy this down a column, and get data returns from Row10 for each
succeeding column for each row it's copied down.

Now let's say we're going to copy this formula along a row, across columns,
to access the same data.
Although we could leave the references absolute, for the sake of this
discussion, lets do only what's necessary.
=INDEX(10:10,
If we use ROW(4) for the column reference, it *will not* increment as it's
dragged along a row.
COLUMN() *will* however.
So we write the formula:
=INDEX(10:10,COLUMN(D:D))
And copy across columns, along a row for as far as we need.

It's the exact same premise when dealing with copying columns.

Say we're copying Column D along a row, starting at Row4:
=INDEX($D:$D,COLUMN(D:D))

And if we're copying Column D down a column:
=INDEX(D:D,ROW(4))

Needless to say, the above could also be just as easily accomplished simply
by:
=D4
and dragging down, as could copying row to row.

Do you think you can answer your own question now?
--
HTH,

RD

"Gnomie" wrote in message
Thanks.. that helps me understnad a little more about the formula I'm

using.

I can now get the fill series to run down, but I can't get it to run
across.. I only need 4 fills down for each of the 120 pages, yet over 60
across and I've fiddled with the formula a fair bit yet do'nt quite
understand what I'm supposed to change.

I'd hoped that once I was given a push in the right direction( so to

speak)
I could fathom the rest out.. to no avail.

I've been using =OFFSET(Sheet2!$A$1,0,ROW(A1)-1)

If someone could help I'd be grateful.

Ta