Helen N.

Nope, see answer above.

"CLR" wrote:

Sounds like you may have multiple occurances of the same file and getting
the "wrong" one opened..............just try FILE SAVEAS, and re-naming
the file and see if the problem still occurs with the new name.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Helen N." <Helen wrote in message
I have several excel .xls files where the data changes sometimes after
closing the file. Upon reopening it, cells are sometimes blank, sometimes
different data, all data still relevant to the row header (like a state

may
change from VA to NY or just be blank, a zip code may change but still be

zip code). The data seems to be whatever may have been originally on the
spreadsheet (if we never had a NC state, a new one is not created) but

maybe
the cells have shifted up or down, but there is no pattern. Some files

were
created in Excel 97, some in Excel 2003. Most all from cutting and pasting
from other spreadsheets that have numerous other originations due to the
sharing of addresses for mailings, so I don't know the version of the

other
Excel programs. All also have some hand entering and tweeking. I am

running
anti-virus updated software and all appears clear. There appears to be no
macros and there is no prompting to enable or disable macros. I have tried
saving a spreadsheet as a .txt with tab delimited and reopening it in

Excel
and then saving as .xls but the problem follows it. It happens on another
computer running Excel XP using the same file. The changes can be saved

fine,
but once closed and reopened, it is only guaranteed that there will be
incorrect data somewhere. What to do?