Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Charles Williams Charles Williams is offline

Default social security number problem

You need to be careful using .Text because that gets the formatted property
at the last calculation and reformat, which may have inadvertently been
changed to ###### without you noticing because of formatting or zoom changes
etc.

Its usually safer to assign the .Value to a string variable and then return
it to a cell which is formatted the same way as the origin.
(You can copy the formatting using .Copy and .PasteSpecial xlPasteFormats )

regards
Charles
____________________________
The Excel Calculation Site
http://www.decisionmodels.com

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
message ...
What do you mean when you say "a cell dim as social security"? Do you mean
it is formatted on the worksheet as...

Format Cells/Special/Social Security Number

If so, then in your code, Dim your variable as String, but don't assign
the Value property of the Cell to it; rather, assign the Cell's Text
property to it. For one example...

YourStringVariable = ActiveSheet.Cells(3,4).Text

Rick

"John" wrote in message
a cell is dim as social security. I want to copy that to a variable. What
do I dim the variable as?

If I use string, then when I copy it to a different cell dim as social
security it shows up as #######.

If I use some number like integer or double it doesn't get the whole
number.

Thanks

john