Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
alex alex is offline

Default code to SAVE

On May 15, 12:43*pm, alex wrote:
On May 15, 11:24*am, Susan wrote:

last one, i promise

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...rogramming/bro...

susan

On May 15, 10:27*am, alex wrote:

On May 14, 1:07*pm, alex wrote:

Hi experts,

using Excel '03...

My company is trying to save its xls documents (and other MS docs) in
a particular format; e.g., Program_Desc_Date_Initials.

Is there a way to code Excel (possibly placing the code in Book.xlt)
that prompts/asks the user (when the user executes SAVE or SAVE AS) to
enter the appropriate program, description, date, and his/her
initials. *I'm thinking four input boxes (one after the other).

This data from the user would be concatenated and would form the file
name (now located in the Save As dialog box). *The user would then
simply choose a location.

Thoughts?

alex

Can someone tell me if I posted this question to the wrong group?

Thanks,
alex- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for your help Susan. *I'll take a look at these and see if I
can extrapolate something.

alex- Hide quoted text -

I've got most of the code to work and pasted it below:

Sub xlsSaveAs()

Dim SaveName1 As String
Dim SaveName2 As String
Dim SaveName3 As String
Dim SaveName4 As String
Dim Why As Integer

Why = MsgBox("Would You Like To Use Special Formatting?", vbYesNo,
"File Formatting")

If Why = vbYes Then
SaveName1 = InputBox("PLEASE ENTER PROGRAM
DESCRIPTION")

Application.Dialogs(xlDialogSaveAs).Show SaveName1

Else
Application.Dialogs(xlDialogSaveAs).Show

I have a problem, however, with concatenating the results of all my
input boxes. I can show them; e.g.:

If Why = vbYes Then
SaveName1 = InputBox("PLEASE ENTER PROGRAM
DESCRIPTION")
SaveName2 = InputBox("PLEASE ENTER DESC")
SaveName3 = InputBox("PLEASE ENTER DATE")
SaveName4 = InputBox("PLEASE ENTER INITIALS")

but I cannot combine the results.

I also thought about creating one UserForm with four textboxes. I can
call the Form, but I don't know enough to pull the user defined text
from the textboxes.

thoughts?
alex