Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
eric_powell eric_powell is offline

Default Change Web Page Drop-Down To Fire Code

CROSSPOST
http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91246

Hello, I'm using XP, MSO2003 & IE6.
My question centers around controlling internet explorer through VBA code
written in an excel workbook.
I am trying to query an online database and retrieve a value to use in a
much larger excel program. The website is given below.
http://gisims2.miamidade.gov/MyHome/proptext.asp
I am running into difficulties because the website contains a dropdown box
("Search by") which changes the form fields (found below the dropdown) based
on its selection. Unfortunately, while I am able to set the value of this
dropdown, that is not sufficient to "fire" the event operation responsible
for controlling the available fields.

I hope to remedy this by making the dropdown the "active" object and then
changing the value. (I have tried to simulate this operation by tabbing
through the webpage till I reached the dropdown and then changing the value.
That worked.)

I have attempted this using the line below. While it does not crash, it
doesn't appear to do anything either.
VB: AutoLinked keywords will cause extra spaces before keywords. Extra
spacing is NOT transferred when copy/pasting, but IS if the keyword uses
"quotes".

..Item("bytool").setActive

Same story with:
VB: AutoLinked keywords will cause extra spaces before keywords. Extra
spacing is NOT transferred when copy/pasting, but IS if the keyword uses
"quotes".

..Item("bytool").Focus

VB: AutoLinked keywords will cause extra spaces before keywords. Extra
spacing is NOT transferred when copy/pasting, but IS if the keyword uses
"quotes".

Sub PropInfo()
Dim appIE As SHDocVw.InternetExplorer
Set appIE = New SHDocVw.InternetExplorer
appIE.Visible = True
appIE.navigate "http://gisims2.miamidade.gov/MyHome/proptext.asp"
Do While appIE.Busy: DoEvents: Loop
Do While appIE.readyState < 4: DoEvents: Loop
With appIE.document.frmNavigation
..Item("bytool").setActive
..Item("bytool").Value = "ADDR" 'Search by' dropdown
..Item("stnum").Value = "2417" 'house #' field
..Item("stdir").Value = ""
..Item("stname").Value = "ponce de leon" 'street name' field
..Item("sttype").Value = "BLVD" 'street type' field
..submit
End With
End Sub

I would greatly appreciate anyone's help with this.