Dave Peterson

It's an annoying inconsistency.

But if you're careful and close by using the sheet's X (not the application's
X), then you should be ok.

(Use the lower of the two X's if that makes sense???)

Keith G Hicks wrote:

I have Excel (2003) set up (running in Win2kpro) so that if multiple files
are open then I see each one individually in the task bar. This is what I
want. However, unlike Word, when I close one Excel file in the task bar (by
right clicking it and choosing the "close" option), ALL the excel files
close presumably indicating that I only have 1 instance of Excel running.
When I close 1 word doc only that one closes, not all of them. This is very
frustrating if I have 3 or 4 files open and they're all currently saved.
They all close at once. I don't want that to happen. I only want the one
that I close to close. Is this just another annoying inconsistency between
office tools or is there a setting that will let me alter this behavior?
(the same is true when I close from the upper right close button in the
Excel window rather than from the upper rigth close button for the current
workbook - but again, word does not behave this way)

Thanks,

Keith

--

Dave Peterson