Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Peter T Peter T is offline

Default RowHeight and AutoFit wit Merged Cells

"Howard Kaikow" wrote in message
I added timing to the inner guts of the program
Witrh Screenupdating disabled, time was 3943 milliseconds.
With Screenupdating enabled, time was 4833 milliseconds, that's one heck

of
relative performance hit!

I posted a couple of demos a while back that showed, respectively,
significant and trivial speed gain by disabling screenupdating (SU)
depending on what the code does to cells. As I said at the time I would not
have expected much gain with what you are doing, however difiicult to
imagine why disabling SU affects your code so negatively.

Couple of thoughts: Are you toggling SU on/off multiple times in a loop (I
assume not). Is there anything that would take a long time on the sheet to
redraw, eg graphics, page breaks etc.

Both of the above were run from the VBIDE.

I compiled the VB 6 code, time to run was 3924 millisconds.

Excel is not visible in all cases.

With Excel is visible it was very worthwhile to disable SU even running the
demo that gave small gain in an invisible instance.

Perhaps a silly question, but is there "documentation" of how a disabled
Screenupdating affects non-visible documents?

Not that I know of.

Oh well, a few daze ago the code was taking over 50 seconds.

Keep chipping away!

Regards,
Peter T