Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
RB Smissaert RB Smissaert is offline

Default Excel keeps running after closing on server

Thanks for that link.
I think I had seen it some years ago, but will go through it again.

RBS

"Jim Cone" wrote in message

RBS,
This is the only reference I have...
"Considerations for server-side Automation of Office"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/257757/en-us
(you have probably already seen it)
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"RB Smissaert"

wrote in message
Have noticed that on a Windows 2000 server when you open Excel and close
it
there remains a hidden
process running of Excel. So, this shows under Processes in the Windows
task
manager.
This has nil to do with any particular workbook or add-in that I can see
as
it happens even when nil had
been opened or loaded in Excel. I know that Excel is not really meant to
be
running on a server, but I have
no problems otherwise and I wonder what is causing this and if there could
be a solution.
This is Excel 2003.
I have written a little VB6 .exe that takes care of this:

Sub Main()
Dim oWMI As Object
Dim oProcess As Object
Set oWMI = GetObject("winmgmts:")
For Each oProcess In oWMI.InstancesOf("Win32_Process")
If UCase(oProcess.Name) = "EXCEL.EXE" Then
oProcess.Terminate 0
End If
Next
Set oWMI = Nothing
End Sub

But I would like to solve this at source rather than fixing the symptom.
RBS