tbennett

Default vlookup argument type

I have two instances using vlookup in which I look up the value '1234' in
table array. Vlookup returns #NA in case 1, and the correct result in case
2. In case 1, the value argument is a cell reference to '1234' and has a
TYPE value of 1. In case 2, value is a cell reference to '1234' and has a
TYPE value of 2. The TYPE value in the lookup column of the lookup array is
2.

Is the wrong data type the cause for the #NA result and, if so, how do I
change it? Formatting the lookup value as text doesn't do the trick.