Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
SteveDB1 SteveDB1 is offline

Default modifying countifs

Hi all.
I am in need to of worksheet function modification.
I've been using the countifs for a verification process, and it's gotten to
the point where it's more frustrating then it is helpful.
The main problem is that I need to use one column for my criteria range that
does not have values in all cells for that column. Which then means that I
need to place some kind of a "place holder" such as a space bar key stroke
which then messes up my sumproduct function.
I was thinking that I'd like to do something akin to a sumproduct, but make
it a countproduct, except of course, it doesn't exist.
I say this because the sumproduct allows for blank cells, and the
countifs/countif does not.
What could I use to bypass the blank cell restriction to still get an
accurant count on my function.
Generally I'm using the following.
=countifs(crtrng1,crt1,crtrng2,crt2,crtrng3,crt3)
where crtrng is shorthand for crtieria range, and crt is shorthand for the
crtieria.
Range 1 would be matching names, range 2 would be matching numeric values,
and range 3 would be the column with some blank cells, and others that would
not be blanks. Always though range 3 would have 5 digit numbers, if any
values existed there.