Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Charlie Charlie is offline

Default Is string allowable as a file name

And tildes "~" as I've recently discovered.

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

Google is your friend:

In addition to the rules here, you'll find that for use in Excel, it is also
helpful to disallow [square brackets] and 'single quotes' from file names.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"JT" wrote in message
Hello

I am writing a version control macro and need it to identify whether
the file name entered by the user is valid as a file name. Can
anybody either:

a) provide some code that identifies whether a given text string is
allowable as a file name?

b) provide a list of all characters that are not allowable in file
names so that I can write such a piece of code myself.

Thanks

John