Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Chris Chris is offline

Default Lookup Macro

Hello, could some one please help me with the following?

I have two Excel 2003 workbooks. One workbook is named: Master.xls and
the worksheet is also named: Master.

The other workbook is named: Stock Numbers.xls and the worksheet is also
named: Stock Numbers.

In column A of both the Master worksheet and the Stock Numbers worksheet
is a list of Part Numbers. The Part Numbers start from A2:A65000 in
each worksheet.
In column J of the Stock Numbers worksheet there is a list of stock
codes.
In column J of the Master worksheet is a blank list of Stock Codes that
needs to be populated with all corresponding (part number / stock code)
matches found in the Stock Codes worksheet.

I wish to get Excel to lookup each Part Number in Column A of the Master
worksheet and see if there is a corresponding Part Numbers in column A
of the Stock Numbers worksheet.

If there is a match, then the corresponding Stock Number against the
matched part Number in the Stock Numbers worksheet needs to be populated
in column J of the Master worksheet against the matched part

number.

Example:

Master worksheet:

Columns A & J:

Cell: A2: 001P87 Cell J2: "blank cell"
A3: A28H96 Cell J3: "blank Cell"
A4: X8500L cell J4: "blank cell"

Stock Code worksheet:

Columns A & J:

Cell: A2: 001P87 Cell J2: 018519937
A3: BR54M Cell J3: 000012255
A4: X8500L Cell J4: 668510039

So, in the above example, when Excel looks up Column A of the Master
worksheet, the part numbers: 001P87 & X8500L will find a corresponding
match to those part numbers located in Column A of the Stock Codes

worksheet. Thus, the stock codes in Column J of the Stock Codes
worksheet need to be copied in to the corresponding blank cells in
Column J of the Master worksheet. Then the worksheets should look like

this after the stock codes have been copied across:

Master worksheet:

Columns A & J:

Cell: A2: 001P87 Cell J2: 018519937
A3: A28H96 Cell J3: "blank Cell"
A4: X8500L cell J4: 668510039

Stock Code worksheet:

Column A & J:

Cell: A2: 001P87 Cell J2: 018519937
A3: BR54M Cell J3: 000012255
A4: X8500L Cell J4: 668510039

If any one can help with creating a macro, it would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris.