Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
joel joel is offline

Default MATCH function, with variable lookup_array

Use OFFSET(). The column offset may need to be adjusted by one to get the
column number to match.

If you wer look for data in column B (= 2) then your offset from column A is
2 (col B) - 1 = 1

"St03mp" wrote:

Hello,

Is there a way to select a variable lookup_array.

This is the situation.

Input:
Dia: 130 (e.g.)
Length: 2500 (e.g.)

Data:
Dia factor 0 factor 1 factor 2
80 1200 2400 3600
90 1350 2700 4050
100 1500 3000 4500
110 1650 3300 4950
120 1800 3600 5400
130 1950 3900 5850

Result: factor X

I first select the correct row number, using MATCH:
=MATCH(B2;A9:A51;1)

Now I want to look up the corresponding column number, using the input value
'length'.
I can do this, using MATCH again. But How do I tell excel that it has to
look in the
row(number) I just looked up with the first MATCH? And how do I point
specifically to the correct array (column range)?

When I have found the correct row and column, I can use INDEX to select the
corresponding factor.

PS: IF-THEN solutions are no good, since the data table contains much more
columns and rows in reality.

Thanks,
St03mp