Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Hutchins Tom Hutchins is offline

Default Minimise Workbook

Do I understand correctly what you want to do? You have two workbooks open.
You designate one of them as MyName. MyName is minimized, saved, and closed.
The other workbook is left open as the active workbook. As far as I can tell,
the following code accomplishes all that. It doesn't matter which of the two
workbooks has the macro or which workbook is active when you run it. You just
have to assign the name of the workbook (as it appears in the title bar) to
the string variable MyName.

Public Sub Shrink()
'Activate the workbook to be minimized
Workbooks(MyName).Activate
'Windows(1) ia always the active window
Windows(1).WindowState = xlMinimized
'Maximize the active window
ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlMaximized
'Save & close MyName
Workbooks(MyName).Close SaveChanges:=True
End Sub

I'm not sure why you want to go to the extra trouble of miinimizing a
workbook, if you are going to immediately close it anyway.

Hutch

"donwb" wrote:

Hi Hutch
I tried your suggestion as below:-

Windows(1).WindowState = xlMinimized
Workbooks(MyName).Close SaveChanges:=True

When I ran the code it appeared to ignore the minimise statement,
the active window remained visible and the close/save statement was
executed.
The minimise was actually done, because when I reopen the WB it appears
minimised.

If I step thru the code however, the active window IS minimised,
and the "inactive" window becomes visible, while the close/save is done.
Any ideas??
donwb

"Tom Hutchins" wrote in message
Instead of Application, use the Window object. Maybe something like

Public Sub Shrink()
'Activate the workbook to be minimized
Workbooks("Book4").Activate
'Windows(1) ia always the active window
Windows(1).WindowState = xlMinimized
Workbooks("Book4").Close SaveChanges:=True
End Sub

Hope this helps,

Hutch

"donwb" wrote:

Hi Office_Novice
The problem with
"Application.WindowState = xlMinimized"
is that it minimises both workbooks.

Say my WorkBook #1 is active & visible
and Workbook #2 is inactive, not visible.

As soon as I run my code, I would like it to
straightaway make WB #2 visible & active then
save and close WB #1 in the "background"
so that I can look at WB #1 while that's going on.
donwb

"Office_Novice" wrote in message
This worked perfectly for me

Sub Shrink()
With ActiveWorkbook
Application.WindowState = xlMinimized
End With
Workbooks("Book1").Close SaveChanges:=True, Filename:="MyWorkbook"
End Sub

"donwb" wrote:

I have 2 workbooks open in Excel.
I am trying to write code to minimise the active workbook
to the taskbar, then, when it gets there, save any changes made.
I'm using:-
Application.Workbooks(MyName).WindowsState = xlMinimised
Workbooks(MyName).Close Savechanges:=True
The first line does not work, but the second one does.
Is this just syntax, or am I trying the impossible?
donwb