Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Bigfoot17 Bigfoot17 is offline

Default Text String to Date

Thank you this was very helpful. You not only showed me how to resolve this
problem but tightened the code by dealing with invalid input. Thanks.

"JaimeVasquez" wrote:

On Apr 10, 1:32 pm, Bigfoot17
wrote:
I have been reading many many posts regarding this topic, but of course none
seems to be exactly what I am looking to do. So..

I have an InputBox getting a string and it has been doing what I want. I
want the user to give me a 6 digit date that I incorporate into a filename
later on.
FileDate = InputBox("Enter the 6 digit date of file" & vbLf & "(Example:
031208)", "Date of SCR Data")

BUT at the same time I'd like the input to go into one of the cells as a
date "m/d/yy". What I have been getting is a date "6/10/85" which I
understand is the date equivalent for day #31208. What I'd like to see is
"03/12/08" or "3/12/08".

Any help is appreciated.

Hi, do this helps?:

Sub InputDate()
Dim FileDate As String, dDate As Date

FileDate = InputBox("Enter the 6 digit date of file" & vbLf &
"(Example:031208)", "Date of SCR Data")

If Len(FileDate) < 6 Then
MsgBox "invalid date"
Exit Sub
End If

dDate = DateSerial(Mid(FileDate, 5, 2), Mid(FileDate, 1, 2),
Mid(FileDate, 3, 2))

With Range("c5")
.Value = dDate
.NumberFormat = "m/dd/yy"