Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
dan dungan dan dungan is offline

Default Combobox-calculating issue

Hi,

We've been using this since August 2007. This just started happening
about two weeks ago:

In Excel 2000, the application freezes when the user types in the
combobox to select an entry. The worksheet starts calculating and
won't stop.

If the user scrolls to the selection and presses enter the application
does not freeze.

I'm using the following code in the KeyDown event:

Private Sub cboPartnum_KeyDown(ByVal KeyCode As MSForms.ReturnInteger,
ByVal Shift As Integer)

Select Case KeyCode
Case 9 'Tab
Worksheets("QuotedPart").Range("d2").Activate
Case 13 'Enter
Worksheets("QuotedPart").Range("d2").Activate
Case Else
'do nothing
End Select
End Sub

Also, I'm populating the combobox from a named range--PARTNUM, that is
growing daily. It has 1396 rows of data and we add about 27 items per
week.

I can stop this locking up behavior if I select manual calculation,
but then the user has to remember to calculate manually.

It seems I should turn off automatic calculation when the user makes a
selection in the combobox and then turn it back on when they move on
to the next cell.

Has anyone experienced this before?

I tried adding the calculate command to my code but it fails with the
message, Compile Error, Expected Function or variable.

Private Sub cboPartnum_KeyDown(ByVal KeyCode As MSForms.ReturnInteger,
ByVal Shift As Integer)

Fails here-- Application.Calculate = False

Select Case KeyCode
Case 9 'Tab
Worksheets("QuotedPart").Range("d2").Activate
Case 13 'Enter
Worksheets("QuotedPart").Range("d2").Activate
Case Else
'do nothing
End Select
Application.Calculate = True