Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
[email protected] annysjunkmail@tiscali.co.uk is offline

Default Creating an unique list but applying 2 conditions...can it be done?

Hi Group,

I have searched previous posts but none seem to fit my requirements.
What I am trying to do is to create to return a list of unique records
(RefID) which must match the following conditions:

1) Unique record by ID, and then,
2) Most recent date only.

So, for example, I need sample which looks like this:

RefID Date Target ID Value
003715 31-Mar-07 X 003332 9
003715 31-Mar-06 X 003332 5.5
004248 30-Jun-06 Y 003101 14.5
004248 30-Jun-05 Y 003101 11.5
004248 31-Mar-04 Y 003101 15.5
004352 31-Dec-07 Y 003101 1.5
004352 31-Mar-05 Y 003101 1
004352 30-Sep-04 Y 003101 2
006608 30-Sep-07 Z 003423 7.5
006608 31-Mar-07 Z 003423 10.05
006608 30-Jun-06 Z 003423 10.5
006608 30-Jun-05 Z 003423 5
006608 31-Mar-05 Z 003423 4
012409 31-Mar-07 A 013329 0.25
012409 31-Dec-06 B 000189 0.5
012409 31-Mar-06 B 000189 1.5
012409 31-Mar-05 A 013329 1.5

To end up like this:

RefID Date Target ID Value
003715 31-Mar-07 X 003332 9
004248 30-Jun-06 Y 003101 14.5
004352 31-Dec-07 Y 003101 1.5
006608 30-Sep-07 Z 003423 7.5
012409 31-Mar-07 A 013329 0.25
012409 31-Dec-06 B 000189 0.5

Please note in particular RefID 012409 which rightfully occurs twice
as the ID is unique for that application.

Very complicated but it's what I need. Very appreciative for all help
as I have an Access 2000 list of 30,000 records to 'filter' like this.

Thanks
Chris