Mark

Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clear to the bone and Dave
Peterson said
You could try:

Tools|options|General tab|Ignore other applications (check it)

Then double click on the workbook in windows explorer.

And be aware that turning this setting on sometimes gives errors with
workbooks that contain spaces in their path/name:

C:\my documents\excel\my book.xls

The error will look kind of like:
cannot find c:\my ..
then
cannot find documents\excel\my
then
cannot find book.xls

Using Office 2003 and all I get is a Blank EXCEL workbook, and then I have
to select the file from within the excel window...

Part the way there :-)

Mark

Mark wrote:

HELP

I use multiple monitors and often have to work on a number of files
at the same time.

Word allows me to have multiple windows open and I can mimise them
(each
one) to the task bar as and when they are not needed.

I need to be able to do the same in EXCEl !!!!!

Does any one have a nice workaround, other than a number of short
cuts to dummy files "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Office\Office\EXCEL.EXE" / c:\dummy\file1.xls. As to date this my
only way has been to open a new instance of EXCEL and then selecting
the file I actually want.

I am sure there must be a simple setting, but I just can not find it.

Thanks in advance