Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jim S[_3_] Jim S[_3_] is offline

Default Using Conditional Formatting to write Text Value only if true

I have a calendar set up so that I enter one "start date" and it will
generate an 8-week schedule. I can then enter work times in for each day for
each employee.
What I want to do is use the following formula in a conditional format

=IF(AND(ABS(S14-$B$1)<55)*((S14-$B$1)-1), "H", "")

to fill in "H" (and then "O", "L", "I", "D", "A", "Y") but if the condition
is not true allow the user of the spreadsheet to fill in the hours the
employee will work that day.

In the above formula B1 is the start date. S14 is one of the Federal
Holidays.
The above tests if it is within the 8 week range. It correctly prints "H"
when I enter it in as a regular formula, but doesn't seem to print the "H"
when I enter it in as a conditional formula. I'm using Excel 2000 and am
stuck with that, because my workplace won't allow any upgrades.

To sum up, can I use conditional formatting in Excel 2000 to write a text
value in a cell? I don't want the user to have to enter the hours worked
into a conditional formatting statement, but have them enter in the hours and
have those overwritten by a conditional statment if that date falls on a
holiday.
--
Jim S