Dave Peterson

Absolutely nothing.

I always kept a back up copy and would look at the time/date stamp -- although
there's nothing stopping them from modifying that, either.

If you share this on a network drive, you may want to ask your IT folks for
another sharename--only you (and trusted coworkers (when you're out of the
office) can write, but all can read.

But this will only stop people from overwriting your file--it won't stop them
from saving locally and using that copy.

JSP wrote:

When I protect a workbook so that users cannot modify it without knowing the
password, what prevents the user from doing the following:
1. Open the workbook in read-only mode (I do want others to be able to read
the workbook).
2. Select save as and give the file a new name.
3. Delete the original (password protected) workbook.
4. Rename the new (unprotected workbook) to the name of the original
workbook.
5. Edit the workbook and then save the changes.

--

Dave Peterson