Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Ivyleaf Ivyleaf is offline

Default A macro to copy content/sub-contents of outlines and groups inexcel

On Apr 5, 1:38*am, wrote:
Hellooo

Can someone please help ive been trying to do this for two months now
and am debating whether this is even possible now?

I have a spreadsheet that as lots of outlines and groups. What i want
to be able to do is have a macro that finds a specfic group and then
copy the content or sub tasks of that group.

The macro needs to keep in mind that the location of the groups is
not
always in the same location within the spreadsheet and the volume of
the content can vary in terms of size.

further more the spreadsheet that it copies to needs too, the macro
must make sure that content already in the spreadsheet is not
overwritten, so should copy below onto the next line!

Hope that made sense, Any ideas anyone???

Here is the code so far:

Sub Copy()
* * *' * Open Data Dump workbook - the workbook to be copied too
* * Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\Documents and Settings\Desktop
\Tester
\Tester.xls"
* * Windows("Summary.xls").Activate

* * *' * Check if the first cell contains data. If not then close
file
- will need a message box that tells me theres no data
* * 'Sheet1.Activate
* * If WorksheetFunction.CountA(Cells) = 0 Then
* * * * *ActiveWorkbook.Close SaveChanges:=False
* * * * ActiveWorkbook.Saved = True

* * * * * * 'If Range(" Sheet1!A1") = "" Then
* * * * * * 'ActiveWorkbook.Close SaveChanges:=False
* * * * * * 'ActiveWorkbook.Saved = True

* * * * *' * If the cell does contain data then transfer the row of
data across to the Summary file
* * Else
' the ranges are abigious does not necessarily mean this will be the
distinct ranges at all time. I need a condition that allows a finding
of the specific subtask and then select its ranges

* * * * Range("A1:J300").Select
* * * * Selection.Copy
* * * * Windows("Tester.xls").Activate
* * * * Sheets("Sheet1").Activate
* * * * Range("B7").Select
* * * * Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues,
Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=True

* * * * 'Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues,
Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks _
* * * * ':=False, Transpose:=True

* * * * *' * Run the *trade entry and *formatting macros in Trade
Data
file
* * * * 'Enter_Trade
* * End If

* * *' * Save and close the Trade Data file
* * 'ActiveWorkbook.Close SaveChanges:=True
* * 'ActiveWorkbook.Saved = True
End Sub

Thanks sooo much youve no idea how much i will appreciate it if
someone can help

Kay

Hi Kay,

Need a bit more info I'm afraid (well I do anyway). You say you need
to find a 'specific group' and that the sheet contains lots of
outlines and groups. Do you mean as in the rows are grouped by using
the 'Group and Outline' feature in the 'Data' menu, or just that the
data is visually grouped with blank space in between and cunks of data
here and there?
In your actual macro comments, you say in the process "if ccell does
contain data then transfer row across to Summary file" which doesn't
make any mention of the grouping part of your question, which is why I
am unsure.
You say you need to find a 'Subtask', but haven't alluded as to what
classifies a 'Subtask'. In a macro you can look for pretty much
anything, even if you have to loop through every single cell to find
the pattern, but you have to have a pattern that you are searching
for.
From what you have described, I am sure I or someone else can help,
but personally I will need a clearer picture in my mind of what you
are trying to do.

Cheers,
Ivan.