Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Nigel[_2_] Nigel[_2_] is offline

Default Invoice Numbering

Create your invoice template and enter first invoice # -1 in cell c5, place
the following code into the workbook open event and manually save file as
"Template.xlt". If you are using Excel 2007 change as required.

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Dim filePath As String
filePath = "C:\Users\User\Desktop\Invoices\"

With Sheets("Sheet1").Range("C5")
' increment invoice number
.Value = .Value + 1

' save template with next higher number
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:=filePath & "Template.xlt",
FileFormat:=xlTemplate8
Application.DisplayAlerts = True

' save invoice numbered
ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:=filePath & "Invoice" & .Value & ".xls",
FileFormat:=xlExcel8

End With

Nigel

wrote in message
I am creating a template for invoices. I want it to automatically fill
in the invoice number in cell C5 each time I open it, just one number
higher than the last one. I also want it to automatically save to a
folder on my desktop called "Invoices". How can I do this with VB?
Thanks.