Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Ron Rosenfeld Ron Rosenfeld is offline

Default unusual function needed, unusre how to/if possible

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 13:20:02 -0700, Mike Morris <Mike
wrote:

Here's my situation: I get a packing list in an excel spreadsheet that ties
directly back to one or more purchase order(s).

The spreadsheet has 4 columns from L to R: PO#, line #, Item #, quantity
shipped
where "line #" indicates the matching line for a given PO #.

the problem is that a single "line #" may be spread across many lines on the
excel sheet. (e.g. 500 pieces shipped may appear as individual entries of
125, 25, 25, 67, 38, 122, 98)

What I'd like to do is to "collapse" multiple lines where the value for "po#
and "line #" match (item # would then also match) and total the values for
"qty shipped" into a single line with the total # shipped.

(does all that make sense without a concrete example? I hope so...)

Any suggestions? Is this doable easily? (I'm doing it by hand on paper and
it's annoying)

Most likely the Subtotals wizard would work. I believe it is on the Data menu.

First, though, sort your data by PO#, then Line#

Then do your Subtotals wizard selecting for each change in Item#, total the
Quantity Shipped.

--ron