Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Number Precision

In message , yagna
writes
Hi All,

Could you please let me know how to increase the number precision in Excel
workbook. I'm aware that the limit is 15,but unfortunately I have more than
16 number to type in a cell.

for eg: 1234567891234565 this number will turnout to be 1234567891234560

could you please help on this excluding writing in text format.

Are you sure that text strings will not do the job?

You are hitting a limitation of 8 byte IEEE floating point numbers that
Excel uses as its default storage format. Your options are very limited.

Namely to implement a high precision number package using strings, long
integers or packed decimal or perhaps find an Excel clone that uses 10
byte temporary reals (most of these only gain you a couple more digits).

MS withdrew support for 10 byte temporary reals in their compilers
several versions ago so you are basically stuck with what Excel chooses
to offer.

Martin Brown