Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
anon anon is offline

Default Custom security

Hi all,

I have read through some past posts on this subject however am a
little stumped. If anybody could point me towards some resources
(preferably without lots of technical wording) where i can learn more
it would be great.

I've built a large wb used in an industry where the sheet
(specifically the functions / code & formula) would be worth a lot to
other companies. My company has a reasonably high turnover of staff
and it is not unusual for staff to take valuable wb like these with
them to their new role. However they need a copy of the wb whilst in
the company.

I need to build some super security into the sheet. My original
thoughts were to 1. Allow the sheet only to be opened on provision of
a pin 2. allow the sheet to only open until a certain date (or number
of opens) before the pin is required again 3. during this period of
time allow the sheet only to work on a certain computer (based on the
computer name) so if the sheet was transferred to another computer the
pin would be required again

I have read some posts saying that building this functionality within
excel is fairly pointless as would be cracked reasonably easily,
however i am unsure where / on what prog (i have no experience of
coding outside of office applications) i would write this and how i
would call it with my wb.

All help and suggestions very much appreciated. Thanks, K