Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Howard Kaikow Howard Kaikow is offline

Default Excel registry key

Thanks for filling me in, guess I had deleted the earlier posts froim my
news-reader.

FYI I don't have this on my w98se/xl87/xl2k (will look at other machines
later)

'[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared
Tools\MSInfo\Categories\Applications11\Excel11]"

but I do have

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared
Tools\MSInfo\Categories\Applications\Excel\

but nothing of much use in its three sub keys ActiveWorkbook,

ActiveWorkbook
& Charts.

The keys I mentioned previously should identify which version(s) is/are
installed (ie the "v.0"). Typically the latest version is the default
version, at least it should be, but to confirm I suppose could look at

this

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Excel.Applicat ion\CurVer

My goal was to get the version specific program "name", not the version.
The version can be obtained using the techniques in KB 183544: How To Call
CLSID And ProgID Related COM APIs in Visual
Basic.

My goal was to find an easily determined registry key that displayed the
version specific product name without my having to hard code such names.
This is doable for versions 10 and 11, but for versions 8 and 9, might as
well hard code the name, tho there might be language specific differences.