Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Chip Pearson Chip Pearson is offline

Default Error in a "Kill" command

One note, in case you were not aware, Kill performs a non-recoverable
deletion of the file... it does NOT delete to the Recycle Bin.

And code to send a file or folder to the Recycle Bin can be found at
http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/Recycle.aspx.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
message ...
Since the path is OK, you would just delete them as normal files. You
could do them one at a time...

Kill ThePathDocs & "One.doc"
Kill ThePathDocs & "Two.doc"
Kill ThePathDocs & "Three.doc"

or via the Array function as you originally tried to do....

For Each TheFile In Array("One.doc", "Two.doc", "Three.doc")
Kill ThePathDocs & TheFile
Next

One note, in case you were not aware, Kill performs a non-recoverable
deletion of the file... it does NOT delete to the Recycle Bin.

Rick

"Otto Moehrbach" wrote in message
Rick
The path does end in a backslash. Dave pointed out that the word
"Workbooks" and a Word file name (xxx.doc) do not go together, and that's
obvious now that he has pointed it out.
I have 3 Word files, none of which are open, and I want to remove them
from disk (hence the Kill command). Any help you can provide with the
code would be appreciated. Thanks again. Otto
"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote
in message ...
I'm do not see why you have to change the file access to Read Only in
order to delete it, but that shouldn't be your error either. My first
thought is that ThePathDocs variable does **not** end in a backslash (so
that when you concatenate it with TheFile, the resulting filename is an
ugly combination of the last folder in the path and the actual
filename).

Rick

"Otto Moehrbach" wrote in message
Excel XP & Win XP
In this snippet of code I am trying to "Kill" 3 files. I get a
"Subscript out of range" error on the "Kill" command with the first
file. So I changed the order of the files in the "For Each.." line and
again I get that error with the first name. This tells me that the
problem is with the "Kill" line. The "ThePathDocs" is the path to the
folder that holds the files. What did I do wrong? Thanks for your
time. Otto

For Each TheFile In Array("One.doc", "Two.doc", "Three.doc")
Workbooks(ThePathDocs & TheFile).ChangeFileAccess xlReadOnly
Kill Workbooks(ThePathDocs & TheFile).FullName