Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Neal Zimm Neal Zimm is offline

Default VBA Continuation Lines, Best Practices Mar08

Thanks Joel,
It sure is a toss up. My only other thought is that when debugging while
stepping thru the code, VBA does not allow you to add or detract from a
continued line, however you can change a whole line
--
Neal Z

"Joel" wrote:

I use continuation lines for a few reasons

1) When posting code on this website so errors aren't generated when people
copy the code. This website automatically adds a carriage return after 80
characters. If this is in the middle of an insttruction an error will be
generated when the code is pasted into VBA

2) I add a continue line so I can sse all the code in the VBA window without
having to scroll to the right.

3) I add a continuation line to make the code easier to read.

This is the code when you record a macro in excel for a SORT

Range("E4:G8").Select
Selection.Sort Key1:=Range("E4"), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlGuess, _
OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom, _
DataOption1:=xlSortNormal

I usually change this code to the following

Range("E4:G8").Sort _
Key1:=Range("E4"), _
Order1:=xlAscending, _
Header:=xlGuess, _
OrderCustom:=1, _
MatchCase:=False, _
Orientation:=xlTopToBottom, _
DataOption1:=xlSortNormal

"Neal Zimm" wrote:

Hi All,

Sub RowCol_vCellId(CellId As String, Row As Long, Col As Integer, _
Optional bShowMsgPrompt As Boolean = False)

Above is just an example of a continued Sub stmt. During development to
keep from scrolling left and right to see a whole statement I often break
them up. Then, you lose some capability when using VBE to find 'something'
since it doesn't "know" from continued lines.

Is there a "best" or is it a personal preferance ?

What are the other pro's/con's leaving continued lines in a proc once
the code is deemed production ready ? (For maintenance I envision replacing
whole procs, not adding or inserting groups of lines.)

Thanks,
Neal Z.

--
Neal Z