Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
RLang RLang is offline

Default Find Command

Hi Rick,
The string I'm reading in from a file will include a product description
and may include length and width values following a certain pattern. Below
is an example string. There may be a couple variations on a theme which I
could account for with a limited number of search patterns.

"IJ180C-10 WHITE C/T W/COMPLY 54 IN X 50 YDS"

When this string was in a cell and I did the FIND command I entered " * IN X
* YD" into the search box and it found it just fine. I can't depend on every
string having this information (some list MISC SIZES) and I have to go
somewhere else to get the dimensions (long story).

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote:

Can you give us an example of some of the more complicated "patterns" you
are trying to locate the position of?

Rick

"RLang" wrote in message
I've used the FIND command in conjunction with wildcard characters to
find string patterns in a worksheet cell. Can anyone tell me if I can do
the
same thing in VBA against a string variable that I've read in from a file
rather than referencing a cell? Apparently INSTR doesn't allow wildcard
characters.

Thanks much.