Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)[_1430_] Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)[_1430_] is offline

Default Macro

See my other response to your other message for the answer to #1. I'm not
sure I understand what you want for #2. Are you asking to fill in numbers
into each cell that is shaded? If so, are you asking to have the dollar
value divided by the number of months, this being the same value, placed in
each cell? Or did you want a cumulative dollar amount entered into each
cell?

Rick

"CMD" wrote in message
Hi Rick-
I think I figured it out and now have it working. I really appreciate you
taking the time. Can I add a layer of complexity? (1) If its possible to
change the date format to MMM-YY that would be great. (2) Is it possible
for
me to add a 4th column up front and include a dollar amount and if a
dollar
amount exists, have it equally distributed over the shaded cells. Thanks
again so much for your help.
Chris

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote:

Here is some code to do that...

Sub GanttChart()
Dim X As Long
Dim LastRow As Long
Dim Start As Range
Dim Finish As Range
With Worksheets("Sheet3")
Range("D2:O999").ClearFormats
LastRow = .Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
For X = 2 To LastRow
Set Start = Cells(X, 3 + Month(.Range("B" & X).Value & " 1, 2000"))
Set Finish = Cells(X, 3 + Month(.Range("C" & X).Value & " 1,
2000"))
Range(Start, Finish).Cells.Interior.Color = RGB(172, 172, 172)
Next
End With
End Sub

I used a gray color instead of black, but you can change the color on a
per
row basis via the RGB function call if you want. Also, the code works
based
on 3-letter month abbreviations in Columns B and C as well as in your
headers; if you want something different, let me know and I'll modify the
code to account for it.

Rick

"CMD" wrote in message
Hi. I am trying to mimic some MS Project functionality in Excel. I
want
try and automate the creation of a basic gantt chart. Is there a way I
can
do the following:

Columns D - O are labeled months of the year. Column A is a task,
column
is a start month and column C is a stop month. I would like to set it
up
such that once the user puts in a start/stop month, that the respective
cells
(and everything in between) gets shaded a certain color.

So for example if I have a task of develop software in row 2 and the
start
stop is Feb/Apr, I would like cells E2, F2 and G2 to be shaded black.

Thanks in advance.

Chris