Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)[_1398_] Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)[_1398_] is offline

Default Formatting based on a condition

Select the entire Column A, go to the Conditional Formatting dialog and
select "Formula Is" from the first drop down and use this formula in the
second field...

=B1="x"

click the Format button and choose your red format and then OK your way back
to the sheet. Put an X in a cell in Column B and the corresponding cell in
Column A will be filled in with the color you selected.

Rick

wrote in message
Hey all,

Quick question: I have a list of names in column A. Some of these
names have an "X" next to them in column B. Is there a way to apply
condition formatting in the way of saying if there is an X in column
B, fill in a red color in the corresponding name in column A. For
example, A5 has Bill Davis in it, B5 has an X in it, therefore cell A5
would be color filled Red. I've tried conditional formatting but it
works only for the cell i want something done to and doesn't take into
consideration conditions for other cells.

Please help...thanks!