Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Mark Tangard[_4_] Mark Tangard[_4_] is offline

Default Unexplained read-only from a batch file

Hi folks. I have a custom toolbar button in Word that uses the VBA's
Shell command to run a batch file:

Shell "C:\GX\OpenLog15.bat"

where the batch file reads:

@echo off
EXCEL.EXE C:\GX\Log15.xls
exit

It works fine, UNLESS Excel is already open with no sheet active AND the
last-opened Excel file is the one shown. In that case it displays the
File-In-Use dialog. Stranger still, if I dismiss that dialog by hitting
Cancel, the file comes up normally (not read-only).

Am I going about this wrong? Running XL 2003, WinXP.

Thanks for any clues.

Mark