Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
MadZebra MadZebra is offline

Default Reading an external text file

Just a bit more info...
1. Is the file comma delimited?
2. Are there multiple records in the file which you would like shown as
multiple rows in the spreadsheet, or just a single record to be shown in a
single row?

"Ron P" wrote:

A vba macro would work just fine. I'm pretty limited in knowledge about vba
codes

--
Ron P

"MadZebra" wrote:

Hi,

do you need an add-in to do this or are you happy to do it using a VBA macro?
the macro code should be fairly straightforward to do.

"Ron P" wrote:

I have been asked to do some research on having excel read a text file and
from that text file extract pieces of data based on a condition and then
populate an excel sheet for anaylsis. The programmers have a text file
created as in the example and it is set up is such a manner as the required
information is in two seperate lines while the condition is in another.
example

date name number seller
amount
item
item number
sale price
value

The items being requested a

From line 1 -- "date", "seller"
From line 2 -- "amount"
based on the "sale price" which is on line 5 of the text file

Does any one have any ideas or point me in the general direction on how I
can populate excel so that sales managers can evaluate the informtion in
excel?

The managers would like to see the excel sheet look like this

Column A Column B Column C
Date Seller Amount

Thanks and as always any assistance is appreciated.
--
Ron P