Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Neal Zimm Neal Zimm is offline

Default Efficiency Module Sequence in a Project feb08

Jims, T and C

I ran the test. I put a function into module #4 and ran it 50 times.
Put same function into module #107 and ran it 50 times.

In module#4 it ran .000009 seconds faster, or just over 3%.

With 200 users estimated, in 24 hours, it works out to about 20 cpu seconds
saved per day.

Not a great savings, but I think my theory is good, and I'm going to place
the heavily used code in the modules "at the top"

Neal Z.
--
Neal Z

"Jim Cone" wrote:

Neal,
Standard modules are sorted alphabetically by name in the VBE.
Perhaps you are looking at the modules behind each sheet instead of standard
modules which are created by using Insert | Module?
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Neal Zimm"
wrote in message
HI All,
I'm a beginning developer for my first, and a pretty big addin. (over
100 modules) Perhaps you can save me some time in putting a timer on what's
below.

I've noticed that the physical sequence of modules is as you insert them
into the project and not by how you name them. I have NO clue how Excel
accesses the modules and the macros within them.

Within a month, I'll be moving the code to a "QA" project .xla file and
will have the chance to resequence the top to bottom module order.

best practices, are there significant efficiencies to be gained if:
1. Global public variables, record types, are in the modules at "the top" ?

2. The most used Sub's and Functions are in the "earlier" modules ?

3. Should Public Type XXXXX be in the same module as the code which uses
them the most, or doesn't it matter ? (That's where they are now to use the
"split screen" function of the VBA editor.)

Other tips would be appreciated.
Thanks
--
Neal Z