Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
mo_in_france[_2_] mo_in_france[_2_] is offline

Default I need to help with Excel (beginner) -- year row and month column

On 25 Feb, 11:31, ina wrote:
Hello all,

I would like to know how to do the following ( I am newbie to
Excel :) )

I have this

2004-11-30 * * *10
2004-12-31 * * *7
2005-01-31 * * *5
2005-02-28 * * *20
2005-03-31 * * *19
2005-04-30 * * *17
2005-05-31 * * *16
2005-06-30 * * *15
2005-07-31 * * *18
2005-08-31 * * *8
2005-09-30 * * *9
2005-10-31 * * *8
2005-11-30 * * *9
2005-12-31 * * *4
2006-01-31 * * *15
2006-02-28 * * *23
2006-03-31 * * *15
2006-04-30 * * *6
2006-05-31 * * *2
2006-06-30 * * *1
2006-07-31 * * * * * * * *3
2006-08-31 * * *3
2006-09-30 * * *2
2006-10-31 * * *2
2006-11-30 * * *5
2006-12-31 * * *11
2007-01-31 * * *2
2007-02-28 * * *3
2007-03-31 * * *4
2007-04-30 * * *5
2007-05-31 * * *6
2007-06-30 * * *14
2007-07-31 * * *13
2007-08-31 * * *12
2007-09-30 * * *11
2007-10-31 * * *4
2007-11-30 * * *3
2007-12-31 * * *9
2008-01-31 * * *9
2008-02-22 * * *7

and I would like to obtain the folloling

* * * * * * * * * * * * * Jan * Feb * *Mar * *Apr * *May * Jun *Jul
Aug *Sep Oct *Nov Dev *Total
2008
2007
2006
2005
2004

any appreciation will be welcome
Thank you in advance

I would do the following:
1) Add two columns to the data.
2) The first additonal column contains a formula which returns the
month of the date in question (use the month formula)
3) The second additonal column contains a formula which returns the
year of the date (use the year formula)
4) Create a pivot table of the data so that the month field is a
column field, the year is a row field, and the field with the numbers
is the data field.

My suggestion assumes that the first field is in fact a date field (as
opposed to text that looks like a date), and that you know how to
create pivot tables.

BTW this post is in the wrong group. You should repost it to the Excel
one (microsoft.public.excel)

Regards