Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Peter T Peter T is offline

Default Create a chart from a "txt" or a "csv" file

Chart data can exist in another (closed) workbook, even a CVS, but not in a
text file.
If there are no other factors apart from merely keeping the chart & data
separate, it would be easier to keep data in an ordinary xls.

Manually or programmatically, the csv/xls would need to be open while
actually making the chart and linking source data. Thereafter it can remain
closed, though you will probably get messages about links.

You could link cells in the data file to cells in the chart file.
Programmatically that could in theory be done without opening the data file
with =['c:\path\fileName.csv]SheetName'!A1 as cell formulas; but why bother,
simpler to open the data csv to establish the links then close.

If the original data is in a text file probably easiest to copy the data to
cells, as source for the chart. Thereafter there are various ways of
removing the data from the cells though data would in effect exist
thereafter in the chart file.

Just a few thoughts

Regards,
Peter T

"Mark Ivey" wrote in message
Is is possible to create a chart from an external data source like a text
file or a csv file with VBA and keep the data external?

If anyone has any experience with this topic, I would really appreciate

some
examples.

The data I am working with is formatted as such:

METER, CHANNEL
12, 8
47, 10
349, 8