Harlan Grove

PH wrote...
Using Excel 2000, I have a cell "A1" with the value "18E" in it. In
cell "A2" I need to report *only* the number value in cell "A1", and in
cell "A3" I need *only* the letter found in cell "A1."

The problem: the contents of "A1" could be any value from 0 to 100 and
there *may or may not* be any letter at all in the cell. I need the
number reported regardless of what it is, and I need the letter to be
reported, but if it's not present I need it to report something like
"none."

Simple enough to do with formulas alone. If your column A values would
never exceed 4 characters in length (up to 3 decimal numerals and one
letter), use the following to parse the numerals.

A2:
=LOOKUP(1000,-MID(A1,1,{1;2;3}),MID(A1,1,{1;2;3}))

A3:
=IF(LEN(A1)<LEN(A2),RIGHT(A1,1),"none")