Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
KobusD[_2_] KobusD[_2_] is offline

Default Essbase Add-in

Thanks guys! Didn't expect such a prompt & detailed reply :-)

In my solution I am more interested in the error / warning codes after
a connection has been made. Warnings such as "maximum database rows
have been exceeded" or the warning when a sheet retrieval produced
zero lines. Due to my strict deadline I had to come up with a "dirty"
work-around, but I need to now clean-up before the next deadline.

The first warning relates to an Essbase setting called the
SSPROCROWLIMIT. The warning message is displayed and no retrieval
takes place. I would like to capture some "warning code" and do some
VBA when this occurs, but I can't seem to find what these codes are.

A description about the setting (for interest sake): ********# This
controls the maximum number of spreadsheet rows Essbase processes on
an Excel Add-in user request. SSPROCROWLIMIT is in effect only for
Excel Add-in when the Suppress #Missing Rows option is selected The
rows are counted before suppression; that is, missing rows and rows
containing zero values are included.

When users zoom in on one or more members, Essbase must process a
larger grid containing selected members expanded to the zoom-in level
set in the options. When the Suppress #Missing Rows option is set,
Analysis Services returns only rows with at least one column
containing a non-missing value. SSPROCROWLIMIT defines the maximum
size (number of rows) of the larger grid that Essbase needs to
process. This setting prevents excessive memory usage for a single
spreadsheet operation.

When the Excel Suppress #Missing Rows option is not selected, the
limit is 64000. #********

Ron Coderre wrote:
Good point, Jim.

This may help...In the file I referenced above, I annotated many of the
functions in the modEB_Declarations module with parameter options (mainly so
I wouldn't need to keep toggling between my code and the help files.) One of
the better documented functions is the EssVSetGlobalOption function.

--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote in message
Manually you can go into Essbase - Options - Global and change the
options
on the messages. If you want a more automated method then you need to look
into the API's for Essbase. In XL you can look at Essbase Help and search
for
EssVGetGlobalOptions / EssVSetGlobalOption...

--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"KobusD" wrote:

I have written some VBA code to retrieve information using the Essbase
add-in. I am able to manage the Excel errors and warnings so that the
code can continue without intervention from the user, but I am not
able to do the same with the Essbase errors & warnings.

Has anyone had any experience with this so that I can be pointed in
the correct direction?