Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
SteveM SteveM is offline

Default Incentive Spreadsheet Problem

On Jan 30, 10:01 am, "
wrote:
On the top tier of my incentive spread sheet, any number that
surpasses $35,000 should be given a 10% bonus. The problem I am having
is when more than two sums are present, and taking a percentage of
each individual number given and not the lump sum.

The problem:

Entry 1) $45,000
-35,000= 10,000*.1 = $1,000
Entry 2) $55,000
-35,000= 20,000*.1 = $2,000

Since, 45,000 is already entered, only $10,000 needs to be multiplied
by 10%, giving $1,000 instead of $2,000.

How can I make a tier formula that would subtract the second number
(55,000) from the first number (45,000) to give me the $10,000
difference and a $1,000 dollar incentive without giving me a negative
number if a single entry is present.

Michael,

It depends on what the two numbers mean. Generally you add IF
statements in the output cells in which the calculations on contingent
on the input values. But again one would have to know what the
underlying calculation logic is before you could formulate the
equation.

SteveM