Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Bob Phillips Bob Phillips is offline

Default How to clear Immediate Window programmatically within a procedure?

Here is something I got some time ago

Option Explicit

Private Declare Function GetWindow Lib "user32" ( _
ByVal hWnd As Long, _
ByVal wCmd As Long) As Long
Private Declare Function FindWindow Lib "user32" Alias "FindWindowA" ( _
ByVal lpClassName As String, _
ByVal lpWindowName As String) As Long
Private Declare Function FindWindowEx Lib "user32" Alias "FindWindowExA" ( _
ByVal hWnd1 As Long, _
ByVal hWnd2 As Long, _
ByVal lpsz1 As String, _
ByVal lpsz2 As String) As Long
Private Declare Function GetKeyboardState Lib "user32" ( _
pbKeyState As Byte) As Long
Private Declare Function SetKeyboardState Lib "user32" ( _
lppbKeyState As Byte) As Long
Private Declare Function PostMessage Lib "user32" Alias "PostMessageA" ( _
ByVal hWnd As Long, _
ByVal wMsg As Long, _
ByVal wParam As Long, _
ByVal lParam As Long) As Long

Private Const WM_KEYDOWN As Long = &H100
Private Const KEYSTATE_KEYDOWN As Long = &H80

Private savState(0 To 255) As Byte

Public Sub ClearImmediateWindow()
Dim hPane As Long
Dim tmpState(0 To 255) As Byte

hPane = GetImmHandle
If hPane = 0 Then MsgBox "Immediate Window not found."
If hPane < 1 Then Exit Sub

'Save the keyboardstate
GetKeyboardState savState(0)

'Sink the CTRL (note we work with the empty tmpState)
tmpState(vbKeyControl) = KEYSTATE_KEYDOWN
SetKeyboardState tmpState(0)
'Send CTRL+End
PostMessage hPane, WM_KEYDOWN, vbKeyEnd, 0&
'Sink the SHIFT
tmpState(vbKeyShift) = KEYSTATE_KEYDOWN
SetKeyboardState tmpState(0)
'Send CTRLSHIFT+Home and CTRLSHIFT+BackSpace
PostMessage hPane, WM_KEYDOWN, vbKeyHome, 0&
PostMessage hPane, WM_KEYDOWN, vbKeyBack, 0&

'Schedule cleanup code to run
Application.OnTime Now + TimeSerial(0, 0, 0), "DoCleanUp"

End Sub

Private Sub DoCleanUp()
' Restore keyboard state
SetKeyboardState savState(0)
End Sub

Private Function GetImmHandle() As Long
'This function finds the Immediate Pane and returns a handle.
'Docked or MDI, Desked or Floating, Visible or Hidden
Dim oWnd As Object, bDock As Boolean, bShow As Boolean
Dim sMain$, sDock$, sPane$
Dim lMain&, lDock&, lPane&

On Error Resume Next
sMain = Application.VBE.MainWindow.Caption
If Err < 0 Then
MsgBox "No Access to Visual Basic Project"
GetImmHandle = -1
Exit Function
End If

For Each oWnd In Application.VBE.Windows

If oWnd.Type = 5 Then

bShow = oWnd.Visible
sPane = oWnd.Caption
If Not oWnd.LinkedWindowFrame Is Nothing Then
bDock = True
sDock = oWnd.LinkedWindowFrame.Caption
End If
Exit For
End If
Next

lMain = FindWindow("wndclass_desked_gsk", sMain)
If bDock Then
'Docked within the VBE
lPane = FindWindowEx(lMain, 0&, "VbaWindow", sPane)
If lPane = 0 Then
'Floating Pane.. which MAY have it's own frame
lDock = FindWindow("VbFloatingPalette", vbNullString)
lPane = FindWindowEx(lDock, 0&, "VbaWindow", sPane)
While lDock 0 And lPane = 0
lDock = GetWindow(lDock, 2) 'GW_HWNDNEXT = 2
lPane = FindWindowEx(lDock, 0&, "VbaWindow", sPane)
Wend
End If
ElseIf bShow Then
lDock = FindWindowEx(lMain, 0&, "MDIClient", vbNullString)
lDock = FindWindowEx(lDock, 0&, "DockingView", vbNullString)
lPane = FindWindowEx(lDock, 0&, "VbaWindow", sPane)
Else
lPane = FindWindowEx(lMain, 0&, "VbaWindow", sPane)
End If

GetImmHandle = lPane

End Function

--
---
HTH

Bob

"joeu2004" wrote in message
I know that I can clear the Immediate Window by selecting the window,
then pressing ctrl+A Delete (or ctrl+X).

Is there some way to clear the Immediate Window programmatically
within a procedure?