Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tony Girgenti Tony Girgenti is offline

Default Excel workbook save behavior using VB6 very confusing

Hello Jim.

rowNumber is declared in the General/Declarations and assigned a value in
fillArrayFromInputFile, which is not part of the code i posted.

The problem is resolved due to another post in this thread by kounoike.

However, i really appreciate your advice in your five points. I changed all
of my selection references to ranges and the program seems to work fine.

Thanks for all of your help.
Tony

"Jim Cone" wrote:

Tony,

1. From your code...
"newExcelApplication.Visible = False"
The application does not have to be visible in order to work with it.
In fact that is preferred if no user interaction is required.

2. From help...
"Application.Selection - Returns the selected object in the active window.
Using this property with no object qualifier is equivalent to using Application.Selection"

3. There is no declaration of rowNumber in your code and no value
is assigned to it. I assume rowNumber is a public variable?

4. This...
newExcelWorkSheet.Range("A1:L1").Select
Selection.Font.Bold = True
Selection.Font.Size = 11
Selection.HorizontalAlignment = xlCenter
Should become...
newExcelWorkSheet.Range("A1:L1").Font.Bold = True
newExcelWorkSheet.Range("A1:L1").Font.Size = 11
newExcelWorkSheet.Range("A1:L1")..HorizontalAlignm ent = xlCenter

5. All other uses of "Selection" should be changed to the appropriate range.

Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA
(Excel Add-ins / Excel Programming)

"Tony Girgenti"
wrote in message
Hello Jim.
I debugged the program and rowNumber had a value wherever it was used.
When you say "Selection applies to the ActiveWindow ", which selection are
you referring to? If the Application is not visible, how is all the other
stuff happening?
Can you suggest another way to do all this?
Thanks,
Tony

"Jim Cone" wrote:
I see a two things that could be affecting your program...

The variable rowNumber has no value.
Selection applies to the ActiveWindow and your Application is Not visible.

Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA
(Excel Add-ins / Excel Programming)

"Tony Girgenti"
wrote in message
Hello.
I'm using VB6.0, SP6 and Excel 2003 to open an Excel workbook, put data into
it, format it and save it. I have placed my module at the end of this post.

When i run the program and the Excel spreadsheet already exists it does all
of the data and formatting correctly. If i run the program and the
spreadsheet needs to be created, it puts the data in, but the last part of
the formatting is not done. Namely:
newExcelWorkSheet.Columns("A:L").Select
Selection.Columns.AutoFit

Can anybody explain how to fix this? I want all data and formatting to be
applied whether the spreadsheet already exists or not.

Thanks,
Tony
-snip-