Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
[email protected] baobob@my-deja.com is offline

Default VBA code executes fine, but compiler throws error. Huh?

Jim:

Thanks very much for reply.

Well, I have 3 modules, and yes, those 2 that I've been mucking with
do have 'Option Explicit'. The 3rd module that I haven't touched only
contains a bunch of one-line UDFs that are macro keystroke shortcuts
for changing font, color. But thanks to your reminder, I added 'Option
Explicit' to it too.

***

But in the meantime, I've changed to my other PC with Excel 2002 on
it, and the error is still occurring, but in the reverse: My VBA
compiles fine, but I'm getting that 'User-defined function not
defined' message while out in the workbook, when I exit certain cells
that contain calls to my UDFs. But the error displays only
sporadically (meaning when the compiler, or whatever it is that's
throwing the error, has to search beyond a cache of some sort....?
Just an idle hypothesis.)

Anyway, I'll create another thread for this problem if necessary.

***

Your remarks re. Excel 97 are very interesting. Yes, Excel 97's Help
seems very good, and I've always liked it.

I absolutely LOATHE Angel Soft's later Help paradigm, where you, like,
type in one or more keywords, then get some results, then try find in
those results what you're looking for. Everyone I know has been
puzzled by why most (and sometimes all) of those results are
completely off-topic, and worse are (or at least last time I looked,
which could be a few yrs.) not even alphabetized. I mean, huh?

I find one and only one kind of help interface really usable: a simple
index of all the topics, functions, keywords, etc. that the
application contains.

Well, thanks again.

***