Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
joel joel is offline

Default Macro for export

I added one line of code
Sub WriteFixed()

Const MyPath = "C:\temp\"
Const WriteFileName = "text.txt"

Const ForReading = 1, ForWriting = 2, ForAppending = 3

Const TristateUseDefault = -2, TristateTrue = -1, TristateFalse = 0

Set fswrite = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

'open files
WritePathName = MyPath + WriteFileName
fswrite.CreateTextFile WritePathName
Set fwrite = fswrite.GetFile(WritePathName)
Set tswrite = fwrite.OpenAsTextStream(ForWriting, TristateUseDefault)

LastRow = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row

For RowCount = 1 To LastRow
LastCol = Cells(RowCount, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column
OutPutLine = ""
For Colcount = 1 To LastCol
Data = Cells(RowCount, Colcount).Text
If Len(Data) < 12 Then
Data = Data & WorksheetFunction.Rept(" ", 12 - Len(Data))
else
Data = left(Data,12)
End If
OutPutLine = OutPutLine & Data
Next Colcount
tswrite.writeline OutPutLine
Next RowCount

tswrite.Close

End Sub

"santaviga" wrote:

Just noticed also that in the text file it is exporting all text and not the
first 12 characters of each cell. Any ideas???

Regards

"santaviga" wrote:

Hi to all.

I need some help with exporting excel data to text file, I have data in
cells throughout the worksheet, what I need is a macro to export the data in
all cells to a text file on the desktop, but these need to be a maximum of 12
characters and if not 12 character it needs to be padded out to 12 characters
so that when it exports to a text file the data is displayed as if in colums
and not all over the place.

Also I need to know how it exports e.g every time I save the file will it
export to a text file on desktop?

I am currenty doing this a long way by formulas but I think would be better
if it was done by a macro.

I thankyou in advance

Any help would be much appreciated I am new to macros

Regards