Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jim Cone Jim Cone is offline

Default Dumb newbie Q re. passing cell addresses to a UDF.

A function called from a worksheet cell can only return a value to that cell.
It cannot change other cell values and cannot change the physical
characteristics of any cell.
Also, the tips and advice here can help keep answers coming ...
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/newposte.htm
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

wrote in message
I'm still making the transition from Object Pascal, and cells and
other concepts in Excel are throwing me a bit.
I've written a function to which I pass one or more cell addresses,
e.g.:

Function MyFunc(ParamArray SomeCellAddresses()) As SomethingOrOther

It itself gets called from a cell, e.g.:

=MyFunc(A1, C45, B13, etc...)

Inside MyFunc, for each argument passed, I'd like to know BOTH the
cell address that was passed and that cell's contents. As it stands,
Excel seems to pass these arguments as the LATTER, and the cell refs
seem lost.

There isn't something I can do inside MyFunc to have my cake and eat
it too, is there? Namely, additionally retrieve the passed addresses?
Or does Excel indeed do just what I'm observing--convert cell address
arguments to the cell contents before function calls, thereby
requiring me to, say, pass the addresses as strings and use INDIRECT
in MyFunc, instead?
Thanks much.
***