Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
S Himmelrich S Himmelrich is offline

Default Change background color when value changes in a column.

Thank you for your reply....yes I agree this won't be easy to
accomplish, especially since I'm not an advanced macro / vb coder.
Unfortunately considering an add-in is not an option because the work
I'm performing is for a major financial company and distributing
product that requires software installations is not going to happen by
any stretch...hence I'm sorry to say I cannot consider your offer,
thank you anyway.

Scott

On Jan 15, 8:24*pm, "Jim Cone" wrote:
On first glance, achieving the formatting you show in the example won't be easy.
You may want to try the alternative of shading rows in alternating colors
whenever the value in a particular column changes.

You can try out the "Shade Data Rows" add-in from my website to see if
that approach is close to what you need.

Jim Cone
San Francisco, USAhttp://www.realezsites.com/bus/primitivesoftware
(Excel Add-ins / Excel Programming)

"S Himmelrich"
wrote in message
Column A has been sorted with a blank line after each unique entry. *I
would like to format the first occurence in Column A as well as Column
B with a background color. *Column B will continue with that color
until Column A has a different value, then a new color will be applied
for the next grouping.

This report is somewhat dynamic where there may be 5 to 20 uniques in
Column A so I need atleast the ability to use up to twenty colors,
which I can predefine in a case.

The example of what I'm trying to achieve is:http://www.atlantissupport.com/example/example.xls

There is no code in the example above, it's just for example.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this?